Emergency Hospital Open 24 Hours a Day

call icon
902.225.7543

Blame the Rats

This fall two years ago, dogs in Halifax began falling sick with liver and kidney disease. The epidemic was unprecedented in recent times. What was happening was not clear at first, but a pattern emerged, and veterinarians in HRM rapidly responded to the wave of illness. It could happen again.

Leptospirosis, commonly called “Lepto,” is a bacterial infection. Dogs can become infected through oral contamination. It usually occurs from drinking contaminated water, but can also happen by licking their feet after walking in water sources. Once infected, dogs may develop kidney disease, liver disease, or both. Infected dogs are usually quite ill, and can die if not identified and treated. It is important to know that people can, and do, get infected from their dogs.

Dogs are treated in the hospital with intravenous fluids and antibiotics. Unfortunately, testing a sick dog is not easy or fast, so the diagnosis is usually based on an index of suspicion and routine blood sample information. Specific diagnostic blood tests are sent to a regional lab and may take time to complete. If treated early, most dogs will survive. Sadly, many do not make it.

Lepto is not a new thing; it has a worldwide distribution and is most commonly seen in the fall. Fortunately, there is a vaccine that helps prevent infection. Ask your doctor if your dog needs to be vaccinated. Although not 100% effective, it is the best thing we have to prevent infection.

If you have any questions, give us a call at 902.225.7543

Written by: Dr. Kip Grasse, DVM

Category:
My husband and I brought our cat in last night for an emergency visit and she was seen right away.…

Bethan Claire Price

Went there at 9pm with a 20 year old cat having bowel issues. The doctor was quick to diagnose, gave…

Cbassplays

My wife and I are new to the Halifax area and after a few short months here it was time…

Nicholas Pujado

This is by far my favourite vet clinic in Halifax. The staff are very helpful and the vets are very…

Daniel Smith

Blog

What You Should Know About Onion and Garlic Toxicities in Pets

Many people don’t realize that onions and garlic are toxic to pets.  It is so sparsely known that garlic powder is actually a dangerously common ingredient in some homemade dog treat recipes found online.  They are also very common ingredients in many different dishes that we humans love to make, so we need to be extra careful to not allow our pets to ingest anything containing these ingredients. No more licking the plate for Fido and Fluffy!

Read More
See All Articles