Our team continues to be here for you and your cherished pets. We are OPEN and are now able to provide a wide range of services. To learn more about the changes we have implemented in response to COVID-19 and what to expect during your next visit, click here.
Adult fleas only make up 5% of the visible population of fleas. The other 95% are the immature stages of fleas, which are practically invisible to our eyes; they infest our pets and our homes.
A flea can begin to reproduce within 24-48 hours of maturing into an adult once they’ve had their first blood meal. A single adult female flea can lay thousands of eggs in their lifetime, and they can live for several weeks to months on your pet. As your pet moves around, eggs fall off and are distributed throughout your home, in your couch, carpet, and other furniture. Eggs make up 50% of the flea population in an average home. Eggs hatch into larvae within 1-6 days, the larvae feed on debris and flea feces in the environment and develop into pupae after 5-11 days. Pupae have a sticky cocoon that makes them resistant to some insecticides. The pupae then develop into adults in 7-14 days or can stay dormant for months until the conditions are right for hatching. Adults immediately seek for a host to get a blood meal and the cycle repeats.
Fleas bites are very uncomfortable, especially in severe infestations and for pets with allergies to flea saliva. Their bites can result in uncontrollable itching and licking, leading to a painful rash. Your pet can also accidentally ingest a flea while grooming, and fleas can contain tapeworm larvae. Tapeworm eggs can then be passed to you through your pet’s feces.
Fleas require a warm and humid environment to thrive, which is why your home is a perfect breeding ground for them. It is extra important to not only treat your pet but to treat your home for fleas when there is an infestation. Some products only are effective on adult fleas and some work on all life stages. There are many options when it comes to preventative medicine for your pet: some are given monthly, or every three months, some are over the counter or require a prescription, and there are also topical or chewable formulations. It is important to have a preventative medicine conversation with your veterinarian to find what works best for you and your pet.
Many people don’t realize that onions and garlic are toxic to pets. It is so sparsely known that garlic powder is actually a dangerously common ingredient in some homemade dog treat recipes found online. They are also very common ingredients in many different dishes that we humans love to make, so we need to be extra careful to not allow our pets to ingest anything containing these ingredients. No more licking the plate for Fido and Fluffy!
With recent changes to restrictions on businesses, we are pleased to advise that effective June 5, 2020 the restrictions on veterinary practices have been lifted. Based on these changes, below are some important updates to our operating policies.
1. WE CAN NOW SEE ALL CASES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
This includes vaccines, wellness exams, blood work, heartworm testing, spays and neuters, dental services, and more!
2. SAFETY MEASURES TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE
Continue our "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain outside the hospital and use your cell phone to call us. We will take a history of your pet's health and discuss any concerns. A staff member will then meet you outside to bring your pet into the hospital for an examination. The Veterinarian will call you to discuss the recommended treatment plan. After your appointment, a staff member will return your pet to you outside, and take care of any needed medications and payment.
Continue the use of credit cards as the preferred payment method.
Continue with curbside pickup of food and medication (unless you have used our online store and are having your order delivered directly to your home). To place an order through our online store, visit our website and click on "Online Store".
3. ONLINE CONSULTATIONS ARE AVAILABLE
If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
4. OPERATING HOURS
We remain a 24-hour hospital, open 7 days a week
Thank you for your patience and understanding and we look forward to seeing you and your furry family members again!
- Your dedicated team at 4 Paws 24 Hour Veterinary Hospital