Emergency Hospital Open 24 Hours a Day

call icon
902.225.7543
heartwormtest-service-dog

Heartworm Testing For Dogs

Heartworm, which is transferred by mosquitoes, can cause major health issues for your pet. Heartworms can live in the heart, lungs and associated blood vessels of affected pets. This can cause lung disease, heart failure and damage to other organs in the body. Clinical signs are not present during the early stages, this makes preventative measures extremely important.

If a dog has heartworms, what symptoms should I look for?


Signs of heartworm infection can include; a persistent cough, lethargy, intolerance to exercise, loss of weight and appetite.

How does a dog get heartworms?


When an animal is bitten by an infected mosquito, larvae are transferred into their bloodstream. The larvae then grow into adult heartworm over the next 6 months. Heartworm can live in the infected animal for up to 7 years.

What are the treatment options for heartworms?


Your veterinarian will create a treatment protocol specifically for your pet. This may require your pet to be monitored in-hospital while taking certain medications. In severe cases, surgery may be required to remove the parasites.

Why is recovery for heartworm treatment so challenging?


After undergoing treatment, your dog will need time to recover. Increased activity during recovery may slow down your pet’s recovery time. Your veterinarian will review a proper recovery plan for your pup.

My husband and I brought our cat in last night for an emergency visit and she was seen right away.…

Bethan Claire Price

Went there at 9pm with a 20 year old cat having bowel issues. The doctor was quick to diagnose, gave…

Cbassplays

My wife and I are new to the Halifax area and after a few short months here it was time…

Nicholas Pujado

This is by far my favourite vet clinic in Halifax. The staff are very helpful and the vets are very…

Daniel Smith

Blog

What You Should Know About Onion and Garlic Toxicities in Pets

Many people don’t realize that onions and garlic are toxic to pets.  It is so sparsely known that garlic powder is actually a dangerously common ingredient in some homemade dog treat recipes found online.  They are also very common ingredients in many different dishes that we humans love to make, so we need to be extra careful to not allow our pets to ingest anything containing these ingredients. No more licking the plate for Fido and Fluffy!

Read More
See All Articles